Pinacoteca do Estado de São Paulo
It is one of the most important and renowned art museums in the country. Its foundation dates back to 1905 and is now the oldest art museum in São Paulo.
The museum occupies a building built in 1900 in Jardim da Luz, downtown São Paulo.
Visual arts with emphasis on Brazilian production
Owner of one of the largest and most expressive collections of Brazilian art, the Pinacoteca of the State of São Paulo has more than 10 thousand pieces that, in their majority, cover the history of Brazilian painting of the 19th and 20th centuries.
Another highlight is the Brasiliana Collection, which is composed of works by foreign artists who work in Brazil.
Originally built to house the Lyceum of Arts and Crafts (institution in charge of training technicians and craftsmen of the city) the Pinacoteca building was designed in 1895 by the architect Ramos de Azevedo. Conceived in collaboration with Domiziano Rossi, the project was designed in neorrenascentist style.
In 1901 the building was occupied by the Pinacoteca do Estado, which would actually work in 1911 when the First Brazilian Exhibition of Fine Arts took place.
Soon in the first years of existence, in 1913 the Pinacoteca was the stage of an itinerant exhibition of French art.This show would be the first of a series dedicated to the art of European nationalities.The next exhibitions would be from the Italian, Spanish and Portuguese schools.However, World War I prevented the project from moving forward..
In 1930 the building was damaged by a fire that destroyed much of the historical records of the Lyceum of Arts and Crafts.
In the year 1932 , on the occasion of the Constitutionalist Revolution, the building was requested to be used by combatants, being occupied by the members of the Santos Dumont Military Battalion.The administrative departments of the gallery were transferred to a building on Rua Onze de Agosto, where the Official Printing Office of the State of São Paulo.
The museum returned to the old building of Avenida Tiradentes in 1947.
On May 5, 1982, the Pinacoteca building was registered by CONDEPHAAT.After the tipping a campaign in favor of the total occupation of the building was gaining strength and support of the artistic class.
In 1992 the plastic artist Emanuel Araújo was elected director of the museum. Its management was marked by a period of great changes bringing great visibility and international prestige to the institution.
The building underwent a complete renovation between 1993 and 1998. This reform eventually conferred the architectural award Mies Van der Rohe in the year 2000 to its author, Paulo Mendes da Rocha.
Araújo was categorical in stating that the center of São Paulo would not cease to be the postcard of the metropolis. So he decided to change the entrance of the establishment, which was formerly on Avenida Tiradentes, to the front of Estação da Luz.
The reopening to the public occurred in February 1998.
In 2001, the exhibition Auguste Rodin: The Gate of Hell reached an impressive mark having taken more than 200 thousand visitors to the pinacoteca.
From 2003 the building where, for more than 50 years, the DOPS (Department of Order and Social Policy Department) was started to be administered by the Pinacoteca do Estado.
The space of 8 thousand square meters is known as Pinacoteca Station. In addition to housing a Documentation and Memory Center, the building has the Joseph and Paulina Nemirovsky collection composed of works belonging to Brazilian modernism.
After visiting the Pina_Luz exhibitions, you can visit the Flor Café and enjoy lunch, a snack or a break enjoying the park Jardins da Luz, one of the oldest in São Paulo.
Opening hours: from Wednesday to Monday, from 10am to 5.30pm (with stay until 6pm).
End: Praça da Luz, 2 - Light - Center (Light Metro).
Price: R$ 6,00 (whole) and R$ 3,00 for students, children and the elderly. Children up to 10 years old and seniors over 60 do not pay.
Free on Saturdays.
Tel .: (11) 3324-1000
The Hotel Castelar offers the best value for your lodging near the PINACOTECA OF THE STATE OF SÃO PAULO , located in Jardim da Luz in the district of Bom Retiro.
Promotional rates include full breakfast, Wi-Fi and free parking.